Wildcat gridders up to 7th in polls
The University of New Hampshire football team didn't score any points or make any tackles over the weekend, but the Wildcats moved up three spots to No. 7 in the national polls. UNH (8-2 overall), coming off a bye week, also earned a first-place vote for the second straight week in The Sports Network FCS Top 25.
UNH climbed to a season-high seventh in The Sports Network poll and the FCS Coaches Week 11 Poll, thanks in large part to losses for James Madison, Lehigh and Stony Brook.
The Wildcats haven't played since posting a 28-25 win against William & Mary on Nov. 3, snapping a nine-game losing streak against the Tribe. UNH hosts Towson in the final regular-season game on Saturday at noon. The Wildcats own a 6-1 record in the Colonial Athletic Association and can clinch the outright league championship with a victory at Cowell Stadium.
With eight wins to its credit, UNH is expected to receive an invite to the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision tournament for a nation-leading ninth consecutive season.
UNH's No. 7 ranking matches its high water mark from a year ago. The Wildcats climbed to seventh in the polls after defeating JMU on Nov. 5, 2011. The following week, UNH lost to Towson and dropped out of the top 10.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- Input sought on Keene board of ed candidates - 0
- Colorful Tradition at UNH - 0
- Media Power Youth targets preventing youth violence - 0
- Better parent-child communication is Pembroke talk topic - 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 22
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fugitive convicted of stabbing Manchester man in heart in ’96 - 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 3
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 1
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 2
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Scott Brown still weighing options