Wildcat gridders up to 7th in polls
The University of New Hampshire football team didn't score any points or make any tackles over the weekend, but the Wildcats moved up three spots to No. 7 in the national polls. UNH (8-2 overall), coming off a bye week, also earned a first-place vote for the second straight week in The Sports Network FCS Top 25.
UNH climbed to a season-high seventh in The Sports Network poll and the FCS Coaches Week 11 Poll, thanks in large part to losses for James Madison, Lehigh and Stony Brook.
The Wildcats haven't played since posting a 28-25 win against William & Mary on Nov. 3, snapping a nine-game losing streak against the Tribe. UNH hosts Towson in the final regular-season game on Saturday at noon. The Wildcats own a 6-1 record in the Colonial Athletic Association and can clinch the outright league championship with a victory at Cowell Stadium.
With eight wins to its credit, UNH is expected to receive an invite to the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision tournament for a nation-leading ninth consecutive season.
UNH's No. 7 ranking matches its high water mark from a year ago. The Wildcats climbed to seventh in the polls after defeating JMU on Nov. 5, 2011. The following week, UNH lost to Towson and dropped out of the top 10.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
- Derry school district continues to push its high-achieving students - 0
- Keene State professor eager to explore plant’s mysteries - 0
- Windham to reconsider dodgeball ban - 0
- Hooksett students taken to nearby school after gas leak - 0
- Londonderry students who haven't had whooping cough vaccine asked to stay home - 0
- Pinkerton Academy grads told they are 'a promising generation' - 1
- Derry school district looks to boost its bandwith - 0
- Nashua South grads told to embrace lessons from challenges - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Students being evaluated at scene of Salem bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 2
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 3
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?