Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
No bull, no answers in Hillsborough
Hillsboro Police are looking for this 200-pound blue plastic bull that stood guard at the Winter Hills Farm ice cream stand on Route 9 until it disappeared last weekend.
HILLSBOROUGH - For the last year, a blue bull named Ferdinand stood proudly outside the Winter Hill Farm store at the corner of Routes 9 and 31. But someone appears to have borrowed the large plastic animal.
"He's hopefully just wandering around southern New Hampshire and will eventually come back," store owner Amy Scott saod.
Scott, whose family owns the Winter Hill Farm in Henniker, said when she opened the farm store next door in Hillsborough, she went looking for some good old-fashioned roadside kitsch to catch the attention of passing traffic.
"We have been farming for three years and when we opened the store, we wanted to make a name for ourselves as a local business. We needed to find funky things to put out front to bring people in," she said. "Who isn't attracted to funky things?"
Last year, Scott visited the huge annual antiques show in Brimfield, Mass., and stumbled upon a 5- to 6-foot-long plastic bull weighing around 200 pounds.
"I saw that bull and I just knew he was the one," Scott said. "That was Ferdinand."
Scott and her kids painted him blue, and he was placed in front of the antique barn that's home to the Winter Hill Farm store. It wasn't long before folks began stopping to see Ferdinand up close, and to indulge in an ice cream cone or buy some locally raised beef.
"He was on his way to becoming a southern New Hampshire family landmark," Scott said.
A few weeks ago, the Scotts shut down the farm store for the winter. But as soon as they closed, people started calling the farm and begging them to re-open. Scott's husband went to the shop to restock the freezers. That's when he discovered that Ferdinand was gone.
"We're hoping it was a band of court jesters who borrowed Ferdinand and plan on bringing him back," Amy Scott said.
The Hillsborough Police Department is actively investigating. Scott said tire tracks were found that likely belong to whoever took the bull for a ride.
"I just want Ferdinand to return to the store where he belongs," she said. "My kids were so sad when they found out he was gone."
The shop will open Friday as planned, whether Ferdinand makes an appearance or not, but having the big blue bull standing sentry outside would certainly take a bit of the chill out of that unheated barn in Hillsborough.
- - - - - - - -
Nancy Bean Foster may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Two Keene State students among three newest riot arrests - 1
- Man charged with robbing Rochester bank while wearing zebra-print dress is arraigned - 0
- Judge hikes bail in sex assault, child porn case - 0
- Judge declines to order mistrial in Derry sex assault case - 1
- Manchester Crimewatch: Police say homeless man stole car, struck pedestrian - 0
- Police investigating pizza store burglary in Plaistow - 0
- Salem police searching for Dunkin Donuts robber who wore Obama Halloween mask - 2
- Information sought in Keene hair salon burglary attempt - 0
- Two men arrested in Nashua armed robbery - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- Thomas Menino, Boston's longest-serving mayor, dies at 71 - 3
- Judge plans to release GT Advanced Technologies documents critical of Apple - 0
- Dover police say man broke into same business three times - 0
- Derry's tax rate drops as property valuations increase - 0
- Maine nurse defies state Ebola quarantine, leaves home - 11
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
Trump fired up over NH mailer
Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw
Trump fired up over NH mailer
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483