Home » Opinion » Editorials
Validated math? White House gets message wrong
A week after the election and President Obama is already back in "I won" mode.
During initial negotiations over the fiscal cliff earlier this year, the President asked for $800 billion in tax increases, got an agreement from House Speaker John Boehner on that, then blew up the deal by increasing that figure to $1.2 trillion. He now insists on $1.6 trillion in tax hikes.
Jay Carney, White House spokesman, was quoted by an NBC News reporter as saying of the election, "We've earned some credibility ...that we know our arithmetic."
Would that be the arithmetic of the President's 2013 budget, which would raise the national debt from $16 trillion this year to $25 trillion in 2022? Or would it be The New York Times' arithmetic, which showed earlier this year that letting the Bush tax rates on "the rich" expire would bring enough revenue to cover only 13 percent of Obama's projected federal deficit in 2015 and only 9 percent by 2030?
The election was hardly a validation of Obama's budget math. It was a mandate for compromise. As expected, that spirit is woefully lacking from the White House, at least so far.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
- Treat them better: Bad medicine for veterans, military - 14
- Editorial: USNH’s freeze a good start - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Anthony M. Kay
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax