Home » News » Public Safety
Train hits float in Texas veterans parade, four dead
SAN ANGELO - Four people were killed and 17 others injured on Thursday when a train crashed into a parade float carrying veterans and their spouses in West Texas, police and parade organizers said.
Ten of the hospitalized were in critical condition and another seven were listed as stable, Midland Police Chief Price Robinson said.
Robinson said the Union Pacific train struck an open trailer that was carrying veterans and their spouses as it was being pulled across the train tracks at around 4:30 p.m.
"It's hard to look at. It's a very tragic event, very unfortunate," Robinson said, speaking from the site of the accident.
The float was carrying veterans through Midland, Texas, to a banquet in their honor, said Sonny Cleere, an organizer of the Hunt for Heroes event in San Angelo, Texas.
The parade kicked off a weekend of events, including the banquet and a hunting expedition, to honor wounded veterans, Cleere said.
"It has been a horrible thing," he said. "The people in Midland that were hosting the banquet tonight are in a state of shock."
Authorities did not immediately release names of those injured or killed.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- All safe following early-morning Manchester blaze on West Side - 4
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 4
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry victim of Maine shooting expected to recover - 0
- Derry man facing sex assaults wants trial, rejects plea deal - 0
- Bail set at $20,000 for escapee captured after DWI wreck of stolen car - 0
- Utility truck overturns as vehicles dodge ladder on Route 101 in Exeter - 1
- Missing inmate arrested in Rochester after crash - 3
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'