Home » Opinion » Editorials
In-school ads: Get them up quickly
Finally, Manchester's Board of School Committee has approved a policy to allow advertising on school district property, including inside the schools. The school district must begin pursuing sponsors immediately.
This year's tough school budget would have been at least a little bit easier on everyone had the board approved an advertising policy years ago. For a district struggling to make ends meet in a bad economy, the sooner sponsors can be found, the better.
The board placed sensible restrictions on any advertisements. They may not promote "tobacco, alcohol, illegal drugs, gambling or weapons" or include "obscene or sexually explicit language" or advance "any religious or political organization and/or message" or candidate for elected office, as our city hall reporter explained on Wednesday.
As we have noted before, children's educational programming on PBS is sponsored by Chuck-E-Cheese's. The Verizon Wireless Arena, where high school graduations take place, is filled with ads. There is nothing inherently wrong with combining education and advertising. If done well, it is a responsible way to fund education without further burdening taxpayers.
READER COMMENTS: 46
- Ignorance abounds: Obamacare and small businesses - 25
- Mayor development: Growth and a Manchester city office - 1
- Page One Editorial: Control of NH’s future: Today’s House vote will be one for the ages - 17
- Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands - 9
- Missing the point: The IRS scandal and state power - 27
- Helping panhandlers: A method worth trying in Manchester - 7
- For the people: A century of the NH primary - 0
- What innovation? The casino way is the lazy way - 10
- Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty