Home » Opinion » Editorials
In-school ads: Get them up quickly
Finally, Manchester's Board of School Committee has approved a policy to allow advertising on school district property, including inside the schools. The school district must begin pursuing sponsors immediately.
This year's tough school budget would have been at least a little bit easier on everyone had the board approved an advertising policy years ago. For a district struggling to make ends meet in a bad economy, the sooner sponsors can be found, the better.
The board placed sensible restrictions on any advertisements. They may not promote "tobacco, alcohol, illegal drugs, gambling or weapons" or include "obscene or sexually explicit language" or advance "any religious or political organization and/or message" or candidate for elected office, as our city hall reporter explained on Wednesday.
As we have noted before, children's educational programming on PBS is sponsored by Chuck-E-Cheese's. The Verizon Wireless Arena, where high school graduations take place, is filled with ads. There is nothing inherently wrong with combining education and advertising. If done well, it is a responsible way to fund education without further burdening taxpayers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
- Treat them better: Bad medicine for veterans, military - 14
- Editorial: USNH’s freeze a good start - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
- Argentina tops Netherlands in shootout to reach final - 0
- Uehara named to AL all-star team - 0
- All Saints' Episcopal picks a new rector - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Anthony M. Kay
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax