Home » Opinion » Editorials
In-school ads: Get them up quickly
Finally, Manchester's Board of School Committee has approved a policy to allow advertising on school district property, including inside the schools. The school district must begin pursuing sponsors immediately.
This year's tough school budget would have been at least a little bit easier on everyone had the board approved an advertising policy years ago. For a district struggling to make ends meet in a bad economy, the sooner sponsors can be found, the better.
The board placed sensible restrictions on any advertisements. They may not promote "tobacco, alcohol, illegal drugs, gambling or weapons" or include "obscene or sexually explicit language" or advance "any religious or political organization and/or message" or candidate for elected office, as our city hall reporter explained on Wednesday.
As we have noted before, children's educational programming on PBS is sponsored by Chuck-E-Cheese's. The Verizon Wireless Arena, where high school graduations take place, is filled with ads. There is nothing inherently wrong with combining education and advertising. If done well, it is a responsible way to fund education without further burdening taxpayers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 44
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 1
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 13
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child