Home » Opinion » Editorials
In-school ads: Get them up quickly
Finally, Manchester's Board of School Committee has approved a policy to allow advertising on school district property, including inside the schools. The school district must begin pursuing sponsors immediately.
This year's tough school budget would have been at least a little bit easier on everyone had the board approved an advertising policy years ago. For a district struggling to make ends meet in a bad economy, the sooner sponsors can be found, the better.
The board placed sensible restrictions on any advertisements. They may not promote "tobacco, alcohol, illegal drugs, gambling or weapons" or include "obscene or sexually explicit language" or advance "any religious or political organization and/or message" or candidate for elected office, as our city hall reporter explained on Wednesday.
As we have noted before, children's educational programming on PBS is sponsored by Chuck-E-Cheese's. The Verizon Wireless Arena, where high school graduations take place, is filled with ads. There is nothing inherently wrong with combining education and advertising. If done well, it is a responsible way to fund education without further burdening taxpayers.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 12
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 5
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
- Computerized firearms: Holder's bad gun idea - 3
- Republican diversity: NH welcomes political ideas - 8
- Reams vs. Foster: A power grab struck down - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire