Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Nets top Rondo-less Celtics, 102-97
BROOKLYN, N.Y. - Deron Williams and Brook Lopez each scored 24 points as host Brooklyn rallied for its fourth straight win, 102-97, over the Boston Celtics on Thursday.
Williams hit six free throws in the final 43 seconds to secure the win for the Nets, who squandered a 12-point lead in the third quarter.
Paul Pierce led Boston with 22 points, but missed two crucial free throws down the stretch as Boston's three-game winning streak ended. Leandro Barbosa added 17 for the Celtics, who were playing without Rajon Rondo. The Celtics point guard, who is averaging 14.3 points and 12.6 assists, missed the game with a sprained right ankle.
The Nets trailed 85-80, but outscored the Celtics 22-12 in the final 7:57. Joe Johnson hit two jumpers and Lopez put in a Johnson miss to give Brooklyn a 93-87 lead with 1:45 remaining.
Boston was sparked by a 20-2 run in the third quarter after Brooklyn built a 69-57 lead. The Celtics scored 12 straight points to tie the game and Pierce's jumper at the 3:49 mark gave Boston its first lead, 73-71. The Celtics held the lead until Jerry Stackhouse's 3-pointer tied the game at 85 with 6:19 remaining.
- - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rondo, who has reached double figures in assists in 32 straight games, was injured Wednesday against Utah. ... Nets F Gerald Wallace missed the game with an ankle injury. He hasn't played since the season opener. ... Boston is 30th in the league in rebounding. Brooklyn had 15 offensive rebounds in the first half.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Celtics hammer Knicks - 0
- Weary Monarchs lose in shootout - 0
- Manchester man charged in series of store robberies - 0
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 23
- Winter storm pushes up East Coast after weekend blast - 0
- Police looking for information about blood on Pelham road - 0
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 4
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize