Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Nets top Rondo-less Celtics, 102-97
BROOKLYN, N.Y. - Deron Williams and Brook Lopez each scored 24 points as host Brooklyn rallied for its fourth straight win, 102-97, over the Boston Celtics on Thursday.
Williams hit six free throws in the final 43 seconds to secure the win for the Nets, who squandered a 12-point lead in the third quarter.
Paul Pierce led Boston with 22 points, but missed two crucial free throws down the stretch as Boston's three-game winning streak ended. Leandro Barbosa added 17 for the Celtics, who were playing without Rajon Rondo. The Celtics point guard, who is averaging 14.3 points and 12.6 assists, missed the game with a sprained right ankle.
The Nets trailed 85-80, but outscored the Celtics 22-12 in the final 7:57. Joe Johnson hit two jumpers and Lopez put in a Johnson miss to give Brooklyn a 93-87 lead with 1:45 remaining.
Boston was sparked by a 20-2 run in the third quarter after Brooklyn built a 69-57 lead. The Celtics scored 12 straight points to tie the game and Pierce's jumper at the 3:49 mark gave Boston its first lead, 73-71. The Celtics held the lead until Jerry Stackhouse's 3-pointer tied the game at 85 with 6:19 remaining.
- - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rondo, who has reached double figures in assists in 32 straight games, was injured Wednesday against Utah. ... Nets F Gerald Wallace missed the game with an ankle injury. He hasn't played since the season opener. ... Boston is 30th in the league in rebounding. Brooklyn had 15 offensive rebounds in the first half.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Mile marker: Londonderry trail’s first step - 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 26
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 2
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 3
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
- Freedom? Thanks for nothing, Obama - 83
- Christmas spirit: For whom do you shop? - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dingman granted conditional parole - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 1
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 1
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 12
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans