Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Nets top Rondo-less Celtics, 102-97
BROOKLYN, N.Y. - Deron Williams and Brook Lopez each scored 24 points as host Brooklyn rallied for its fourth straight win, 102-97, over the Boston Celtics on Thursday.
Williams hit six free throws in the final 43 seconds to secure the win for the Nets, who squandered a 12-point lead in the third quarter.
Paul Pierce led Boston with 22 points, but missed two crucial free throws down the stretch as Boston's three-game winning streak ended. Leandro Barbosa added 17 for the Celtics, who were playing without Rajon Rondo. The Celtics point guard, who is averaging 14.3 points and 12.6 assists, missed the game with a sprained right ankle.
The Nets trailed 85-80, but outscored the Celtics 22-12 in the final 7:57. Joe Johnson hit two jumpers and Lopez put in a Johnson miss to give Brooklyn a 93-87 lead with 1:45 remaining.
Boston was sparked by a 20-2 run in the third quarter after Brooklyn built a 69-57 lead. The Celtics scored 12 straight points to tie the game and Pierce's jumper at the 3:49 mark gave Boston its first lead, 73-71. The Celtics held the lead until Jerry Stackhouse's 3-pointer tied the game at 85 with 6:19 remaining.
- - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rondo, who has reached double figures in assists in 32 straight games, was injured Wednesday against Utah. ... Nets F Gerald Wallace missed the game with an ankle injury. He hasn't played since the season opener. ... Boston is 30th in the league in rebounding. Brooklyn had 15 offensive rebounds in the first half.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New spokesman named for Diocese of Manchester - 0
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Derry celebrates 100 years - 0
- Ararat Armenian Congregational Church in Salem celebrates 100 years, welcomes pastor - 0
- Interfaith Thanksgiving Service is Monday - 1
- Annual collection helps religious communities address retirement shortfall - 0
- Keene church to hold Colonial Thanksgiving service Sunday - 0
- New Baptist church opening in Concord - 0
- Londonderry church blesses pets - 0
- Center gets grant from bishop's fund - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 4
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'