Home » News » Public Safety
Woman dies in four-alarm blaze in Tuftonboro
TUFTONBORO - An 80-year-old woman died in a four-alarm blaze Friday morning on Barber Pole Road that fire officials said was fueled by a ruptured propane line.
The woman's 78-year-old husband made it out to safety and was not injured. The couple's names were not released but a plaque with the name "Cary" was positioned at the end of the driveway leading to the 34 Barber Pole Road residence, a two-story waterfront home on Lake Winnepesaukee.
The husband is staying with relatives who arrived from out-of-state, fire officials said.
A Tuftonboro firefighter, who suffered smoke inhalation and chest pain, was taken to Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro where he was treated and later released.
The blaze was reported at 1:11 a.m. and the first fire crews arrived 13 minutes later. By then, the home was fully in flames; the blaze quickly went to four alarms.
About 30 to 35 firefighters from nine area communities battled the blaze which took about two hours to get under control. The Moultonborough Fire Department's boat had to be used to pull water from the lake to help douse the flames.
The home was completely destroyed.
Fire officials believe a ruptured propane line fueled the flames. The fire is believe to have started on the exterior in the rear of the home, but investigators do not know what caused it.
Investigators from the state Fire Marshal's Office were called to the scene.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth