Home » News » Public Safety
Neighbors report students on Derry school roofs
DERRY - Using a combination of neighborhood watch techniques and high-tech surveillance, the school district is working to lower vandalism at its school buildings.
Over the past weekend, neighbors spotted students on roofs at two district schools.
There was no damage to either of the buildings, according to school business director Jane Simard.
"I want to give a big thank you to the neighbors," she said. "The schools are alarmed if someone gets in, but if someone is merely on the roof, the alarm does not go off."
The sharp eyes of the neighbors helped alleviate any potential damage to the schools.
"We have had damage in the past," Simard said. "It's good that we have neighbors that keep an eye on what goes on at the schools."
Although the neighbors' watchful eyes can be an effective deterrent, Simard said each school also has about nine surveillance cameras on the property.
"The kids might not be on YouTube, but they are on my computer and the police department's computer," said Simard.
Simard did not identify any of the young roof walkers, but she said it is likely that when this type of incident happens, it can be former students looking to get into a little mischief.
"They are on school property and they should take pride in their schools," she said. "We are also encouraging students to participate in watching their buildings."
Simard said the district's maintenance department works hard to protect the buildings and keep them in good condition.
- - - - - - - -
Adam Swift may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- All safe following early-morning Manchester blaze on West Side - 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 4
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 0
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Utility truck overturns as vehicles dodge ladder on Route 101 in Exeter - 0
- Missing inmate arrested in Rochester after crash - 0
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 26
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 7
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'