Home » News » Public Safety
Neighbors report students on Derry school roofs
DERRY - Using a combination of neighborhood watch techniques and high-tech surveillance, the school district is working to lower vandalism at its school buildings.
Over the past weekend, neighbors spotted students on roofs at two district schools.
There was no damage to either of the buildings, according to school business director Jane Simard.
"I want to give a big thank you to the neighbors," she said. "The schools are alarmed if someone gets in, but if someone is merely on the roof, the alarm does not go off."
The sharp eyes of the neighbors helped alleviate any potential damage to the schools.
"We have had damage in the past," Simard said. "It's good that we have neighbors that keep an eye on what goes on at the schools."
Although the neighbors' watchful eyes can be an effective deterrent, Simard said each school also has about nine surveillance cameras on the property.
"The kids might not be on YouTube, but they are on my computer and the police department's computer," said Simard.
Simard did not identify any of the young roof walkers, but she said it is likely that when this type of incident happens, it can be former students looking to get into a little mischief.
"They are on school property and they should take pride in their schools," she said. "We are also encouraging students to participate in watching their buildings."
Simard said the district's maintenance department works hard to protect the buildings and keep them in good condition.
- - - - - - - -
Adam Swift may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Big tipper stops for lunch
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072