In this weekend's Sunday News
Penalized for patient recidivism
More than 2,200 hospitals have begun paying penalties for having poor readmission rates with their Medicare patients as part of the federal government's effort to improve quality and lower costs of care. Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital will not be one of those hospitals, nor will Catholic Medical Center, Frisbie Memorial Hospital, and Lakes Region General Hospital, all of which achieved the best score possible. At the other end of the spectrum is Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, which had the worst score in the state. What does it all mean, and what do the hospitals at either end of the spectrum have to say about their ratings?
A better road ahead
Find out how the state plans to address one of the biggest frustrations many Granite Staters face every winter.
Like variety? Check out Boston
Few cities juxtapose old and new like Boston does. With modern skyscrapers soaring amid street after brick-sidewalked street of 18th- and 19th-century townhouses and historic sites, it's a city of contrast. Even if you've visited before, you'll find something new to discover. This city, which locals modestly call The Hub (as in the Hub of the Universe) is continually changing, and the last few years have seen some amazing new developments.
'Home for the Holidays'
The Union Leader's Thanksgiving Day edition will once again feature the annual "Home for the Holidays'' special sections, Christmas gift ideas from area merchants, and a full complement of holiday advertising inserts from major national and local stores. If you are a Union Leader or Sunday News home-delivery subscriber, look for this oversized package at your home on Thanksgiving morning. Or look for a copy at your favorite store or newsstand.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 8
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 1
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
- McWages: They're about value - 82
- Night lights: Francestown freaks out - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 0
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 0
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 1
- John Stark's 'We the People' gears up for civics competition - 0
- PSNH on defense over scrubber cost 'escalation' - 0
- Feds and state probe suspended county attorney's handling of funds - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
Anderson lewdness trial is delayed