In this weekend's Sunday News
Penalized for patient recidivism
More than 2,200 hospitals have begun paying penalties for having poor readmission rates with their Medicare patients as part of the federal government's effort to improve quality and lower costs of care. Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital will not be one of those hospitals, nor will Catholic Medical Center, Frisbie Memorial Hospital, and Lakes Region General Hospital, all of which achieved the best score possible. At the other end of the spectrum is Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, which had the worst score in the state. What does it all mean, and what do the hospitals at either end of the spectrum have to say about their ratings?
A better road ahead
Find out how the state plans to address one of the biggest frustrations many Granite Staters face every winter.
Like variety? Check out Boston
Few cities juxtapose old and new like Boston does. With modern skyscrapers soaring amid street after brick-sidewalked street of 18th- and 19th-century townhouses and historic sites, it's a city of contrast. Even if you've visited before, you'll find something new to discover. This city, which locals modestly call The Hub (as in the Hub of the Universe) is continually changing, and the last few years have seen some amazing new developments.
'Home for the Holidays'
The Union Leader's Thanksgiving Day edition will once again feature the annual "Home for the Holidays'' special sections, Christmas gift ideas from area merchants, and a full complement of holiday advertising inserts from major national and local stores. If you are a Union Leader or Sunday News home-delivery subscriber, look for this oversized package at your home on Thanksgiving morning. Or look for a copy at your favorite store or newsstand.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Revised lice policy gets cool reception from some at Manchester school meeting - 1
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus