In this weekend's Sunday News
Penalized for patient recidivism
More than 2,200 hospitals have begun paying penalties for having poor readmission rates with their Medicare patients as part of the federal government's effort to improve quality and lower costs of care. Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital will not be one of those hospitals, nor will Catholic Medical Center, Frisbie Memorial Hospital, and Lakes Region General Hospital, all of which achieved the best score possible. At the other end of the spectrum is Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, which had the worst score in the state. What does it all mean, and what do the hospitals at either end of the spectrum have to say about their ratings?
A better road ahead
Find out how the state plans to address one of the biggest frustrations many Granite Staters face every winter.
Like variety? Check out Boston
Few cities juxtapose old and new like Boston does. With modern skyscrapers soaring amid street after brick-sidewalked street of 18th- and 19th-century townhouses and historic sites, it's a city of contrast. Even if you've visited before, you'll find something new to discover. This city, which locals modestly call The Hub (as in the Hub of the Universe) is continually changing, and the last few years have seen some amazing new developments.
'Home for the Holidays'
The Union Leader's Thanksgiving Day edition will once again feature the annual "Home for the Holidays'' special sections, Christmas gift ideas from area merchants, and a full complement of holiday advertising inserts from major national and local stores. If you are a Union Leader or Sunday News home-delivery subscriber, look for this oversized package at your home on Thanksgiving morning. Or look for a copy at your favorite store or newsstand.
READER COMMENTS: 11
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
- Treat them better: Bad medicine for veterans, military - 14
- Editorial: USNH’s freeze a good start - 3
- Editorial: Weare’s cameras - the PD’s scarlet letters - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stocks up after Fed minutes on 'easy money' exit - 0
- Portsmouth teen accused in DWI crash waives hearing - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 0
- Seeking to upend Hobby Lobby court ruling, federal legislation crafted - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks garage claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
- Firefighters rescue five 'lucky ducks' in Londonderry - 0
- Abortion clinic buffer put on hold after court ruling - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax