Home » News » Public Safety
Derry hunter shot in his backpack
PELHAM — A Derry man survived being shot in the back this Friday afternoon while hunting, according to New Hampshire Fish and Game officers.
Russell Raymond, 27, was hunting in the woods off of Tallant Road in Pelham when another hunter fired at a deer. The other hunter, described as a 50-year-old Pelham man, did not see Raymond as he fired, according to the officers.
The buckshot from the man’s 20-gauge shotgun blast hit Raymond in the back. Most of the shot was absorbed by his backpack, but some of the pellets hit Raymond’s lower back. The Fish and Game officers stated the shot did not penetrate the skin.
A 911 call was made and Raymond was able to walk out of the woods by himself, meeting emergency personnel for treatment. He was then taken to Parkland Medical Center in Derry and released later that day.
Pelham and Windham police, as well as Fish and Game officers continue to investigate the shooting. Fish and Game Lt. James Juneau said this shooting highlights the need for greater care when hunting.
“This incident underscores the importance of wearing hunter orange and the necessity for every hunter to always identify their target and what is beyond it,” Juneau said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 2
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072