Home » News » Public Safety
Derry hunter shot in his backpack
PELHAM — A Derry man survived being shot in the back this Friday afternoon while hunting, according to New Hampshire Fish and Game officers.
Russell Raymond, 27, was hunting in the woods off of Tallant Road in Pelham when another hunter fired at a deer. The other hunter, described as a 50-year-old Pelham man, did not see Raymond as he fired, according to the officers.
The buckshot from the man’s 20-gauge shotgun blast hit Raymond in the back. Most of the shot was absorbed by his backpack, but some of the pellets hit Raymond’s lower back. The Fish and Game officers stated the shot did not penetrate the skin.
A 911 call was made and Raymond was able to walk out of the woods by himself, meeting emergency personnel for treatment. He was then taken to Parkland Medical Center in Derry and released later that day.
Pelham and Windham police, as well as Fish and Game officers continue to investigate the shooting. Fish and Game Lt. James Juneau said this shooting highlights the need for greater care when hunting.
“This incident underscores the importance of wearing hunter orange and the necessity for every hunter to always identify their target and what is beyond it,” Juneau said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Merrimack fire quickly doused - 0
- UPDATED: One seriously hurt, 12 homeless after early morning Manchester fire - 0
- Snowmobiler injured while riding on Thornton golf course - 1
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 1
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snowmobiler injured in Millsfield accident - 0
- Search under way for trio in Somersworth attempted armed robbery - 0
- Nashua teen charged with robbery - 0
- U.S. attorneys general urge Wal-Mart, other retailers to stop selling tobacco - 2
- Manchester police search for bank robber - 0
- Police investigating possible stabbing of man, 22, on Lake Avenue - 1
- As city health costs soar, ‘wellness’ post pushed in Manchester - 12
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents