Home » News » Public Safety
Derry hunter shot in his backpack
PELHAM — A Derry man survived being shot in the back this Friday afternoon while hunting, according to New Hampshire Fish and Game officers.
Russell Raymond, 27, was hunting in the woods off of Tallant Road in Pelham when another hunter fired at a deer. The other hunter, described as a 50-year-old Pelham man, did not see Raymond as he fired, according to the officers.
The buckshot from the man’s 20-gauge shotgun blast hit Raymond in the back. Most of the shot was absorbed by his backpack, but some of the pellets hit Raymond’s lower back. The Fish and Game officers stated the shot did not penetrate the skin.
A 911 call was made and Raymond was able to walk out of the woods by himself, meeting emergency personnel for treatment. He was then taken to Parkland Medical Center in Derry and released later that day.
Pelham and Windham police, as well as Fish and Game officers continue to investigate the shooting. Fish and Game Lt. James Juneau said this shooting highlights the need for greater care when hunting.
“This incident underscores the importance of wearing hunter orange and the necessity for every hunter to always identify their target and what is beyond it,” Juneau said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 2
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 6
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 6
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four