Home » News » Public Safety
Derry hunter shot in his backpack
PELHAM — A Derry man survived being shot in the back this Friday afternoon while hunting, according to New Hampshire Fish and Game officers.
Russell Raymond, 27, was hunting in the woods off of Tallant Road in Pelham when another hunter fired at a deer. The other hunter, described as a 50-year-old Pelham man, did not see Raymond as he fired, according to the officers.
The buckshot from the man’s 20-gauge shotgun blast hit Raymond in the back. Most of the shot was absorbed by his backpack, but some of the pellets hit Raymond’s lower back. The Fish and Game officers stated the shot did not penetrate the skin.
A 911 call was made and Raymond was able to walk out of the woods by himself, meeting emergency personnel for treatment. He was then taken to Parkland Medical Center in Derry and released later that day.
Pelham and Windham police, as well as Fish and Game officers continue to investigate the shooting. Fish and Game Lt. James Juneau said this shooting highlights the need for greater care when hunting.
“This incident underscores the importance of wearing hunter orange and the necessity for every hunter to always identify their target and what is beyond it,” Juneau said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads