Home » News » Public Safety
Derry hunter shot in his backpack
PELHAM — A Derry man survived being shot in the back this Friday afternoon while hunting, according to New Hampshire Fish and Game officers.
Russell Raymond, 27, was hunting in the woods off of Tallant Road in Pelham when another hunter fired at a deer. The other hunter, described as a 50-year-old Pelham man, did not see Raymond as he fired, according to the officers.
The buckshot from the man’s 20-gauge shotgun blast hit Raymond in the back. Most of the shot was absorbed by his backpack, but some of the pellets hit Raymond’s lower back. The Fish and Game officers stated the shot did not penetrate the skin.
A 911 call was made and Raymond was able to walk out of the woods by himself, meeting emergency personnel for treatment. He was then taken to Parkland Medical Center in Derry and released later that day.
Pelham and Windham police, as well as Fish and Game officers continue to investigate the shooting. Fish and Game Lt. James Juneau said this shooting highlights the need for greater care when hunting.
“This incident underscores the importance of wearing hunter orange and the necessity for every hunter to always identify their target and what is beyond it,” Juneau said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072