Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
In Manchester, reports of shoplifting theft increase
MANCHESTER - Reported shoplifting cases were up 10 percent for the first 10 months of this year in the city, according to police statistics compiled for the New Hampshire Sunday News.
There were 375 reported cases from January through October, compared with 341 last year, according to the Manchester Police Department.
Police Lt. Maureen Tessier didn't have statistics on what percent of shoplifting cases ended in arrests.
"In general, stores are more likely to report it if they catch someone in the act or have other evidence, such as surveillance video that depicts the crime," she said.
In all of 2011, December (51) and November (48) saw the greatest number of such reports, while May (21) generated the least.
"During the holiday shopping season, there are more people going to these locations and it (would) be logical to expect those incidents would increase because there's more people," said Tessier.
Among the city's three police sectors, the one covering the south end - including retail-heavy South Willow Street and the Mall of New Hampshire - reported 7 of all 10 reported shoplifting cases - 310 of 440 - during all of 2011.
The West Side sector had 1 in 10 reported cases - 44 - while the center city and east side recorded the remaining 2 in 10 cases, with 86 reported incidents.
For the first 10 months of 2012, police recorded 260 reports in the south end, 42 on the West Side and 73 in the center city and east side.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Burglary spee brings more charges for Seabrook man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 5
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424