Home » Opinion » Editorials
Out on Veterans Day: Some officials took the time
We went to Manchester's parade on Veterans Day and were impressed by several things. The healthy turnout of citizens was a positive, as was the presence, as is typical, of Mayor Ted Gatsas and School Superintendent Dr. Tom Brennan.
The veterans who participated, either as spectators or marchers, must have appreciated the spontaneous applause from the crowd. It broke out, where we stood, every few minutes and was heartwarming.
The veterans, no doubt, also appreciated the marching along of Mayor Gatsas and Dr. Brennan. Their attendance made all the more obvious the absence of other city and area politicians. If there was a single alderman or school board member in the line of march, we missed them.
In Nashua that evening, the public turned out strong for a fundraising show to benefit the Veterans Count program.
Credit Nashua Mayor Donnalee Lozeau, U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte and U.S. Rep. Charlie Bass for representing their constituencies.
It was particularly telling that Charlie Bass, having just lost his seat in Congress, was there to take a seat and support the veterans.
And credit Nashua civic spark plugs Sy Mahfuz and Tom Tessier for starting from scratch an event that promises to be a Veterans Day hallmark for years to come.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies - 5
- Editorial: Jim Adams The GOP choice in Council Dist. 4 - 0
- NH's immigrants: Welcome the ones from Mass. - 13
- Pope’s call-out Where’s the Muslim outrage? - 5
- Free state garden: Weeding is always good - 29
- August recess: Whither our NH representatives? - 1
- Portsmouth saga: Was this 'Officer Too-Friendly?' - 1
- Armed to the teeth, national media discover Bearcats - 21
- Market Basket fallout: Most innocent bystanders - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 7
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist