Home » Opinion » Editorials
Out on Veterans Day: Some officials took the time
We went to Manchester's parade on Veterans Day and were impressed by several things. The healthy turnout of citizens was a positive, as was the presence, as is typical, of Mayor Ted Gatsas and School Superintendent Dr. Tom Brennan.
The veterans who participated, either as spectators or marchers, must have appreciated the spontaneous applause from the crowd. It broke out, where we stood, every few minutes and was heartwarming.
The veterans, no doubt, also appreciated the marching along of Mayor Gatsas and Dr. Brennan. Their attendance made all the more obvious the absence of other city and area politicians. If there was a single alderman or school board member in the line of march, we missed them.
In Nashua that evening, the public turned out strong for a fundraising show to benefit the Veterans Count program.
Credit Nashua Mayor Donnalee Lozeau, U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte and U.S. Rep. Charlie Bass for representing their constituencies.
It was particularly telling that Charlie Bass, having just lost his seat in Congress, was there to take a seat and support the veterans.
And credit Nashua civic spark plugs Sy Mahfuz and Tom Tessier for starting from scratch an event that promises to be a Veterans Day hallmark for years to come.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rep. Terie Norelli: New Hampshire workers deserve higher minimum wages - 0
- Les Bernal: Why don’t casino advocates and executives patronize casinos? - 0
- David Harsanyi: Do most Americans agree with Demsocrats? - 3
- Sam Cohen: ‘No compromise’ gun groups shoot themselves in the foot - 7
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown’s prospects for a U.S. Senate win are poor - 17
- Deroy Murdock: A 'reset' with Russia that would get Putin's attention - 0
- Helen DePrima: How Obamacare worsened my health insurance - 20
- Jonah Goldberg: On Russia, Obama is stuck in the past - 3
- Ray Wieczorek: Joe Kenney is the man for the job - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'