Home » Opinion » Editorials
Out on Veterans Day: Some officials took the time
We went to Manchester's parade on Veterans Day and were impressed by several things. The healthy turnout of citizens was a positive, as was the presence, as is typical, of Mayor Ted Gatsas and School Superintendent Dr. Tom Brennan.
The veterans who participated, either as spectators or marchers, must have appreciated the spontaneous applause from the crowd. It broke out, where we stood, every few minutes and was heartwarming.
The veterans, no doubt, also appreciated the marching along of Mayor Gatsas and Dr. Brennan. Their attendance made all the more obvious the absence of other city and area politicians. If there was a single alderman or school board member in the line of march, we missed them.
In Nashua that evening, the public turned out strong for a fundraising show to benefit the Veterans Count program.
Credit Nashua Mayor Donnalee Lozeau, U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte and U.S. Rep. Charlie Bass for representing their constituencies.
It was particularly telling that Charlie Bass, having just lost his seat in Congress, was there to take a seat and support the veterans.
And credit Nashua civic spark plugs Sy Mahfuz and Tom Tessier for starting from scratch an event that promises to be a Veterans Day hallmark for years to come.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NFL-sponsored health program honors Milford High School staff - 0
- Amendola getting up to speed with Patriots - 0
- UNH defensive tackle Jared Smith chosen by Seattle - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats piece puzzle together - 0
- Texans tap Londonderry's Griffin in NFL Draft - 1
- Patriots make LB, WR top draft picks - 0
- Vikings make NFL Draft splash with three first-round picks, huge trade with Pats - 0
- Top pick Fisher leads linemen's march at NFL Draft - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Patience a virtue for Pats - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 1
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 13
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time