Home » Opinion » Editorials
City school tours: Proceed with caution
Last week there was a minor political controversy about Manchester elected officials organizing parental tours of the local public schools. It's funny how politics can mess up a good idea.
School board member John Avard and Alderman Patrick Arnold organized tours of Gossler Park Elementary, Northwest Elementary and Parker-Varney Elementary. They are to take place on Thursday, Nov. 29. Mayor Ted Gatsas and four other school board members objected to these politician-led tours.
Though parents ought to have access to the schools, Gatsas said, he was concerned about classroom disruptions and child safety. Having politicians lead groups of parents through the schools while they are in session was a bad idea, he said. The school board voted 7-5 to approve the tours anyway.
Avard and Arnold might have the kernel of a good idea, but Gatsas' concerns are valid. A better way to get parents involved would be to schedule more open houses.
It is much more informative for parents and school staff members if parents can tour facilities while teachers and administrators are available to answer questions.
That also would prevent the tours from becoming distractions for students and teachers.
The public schools belong to the people, and they ought to be accessible. But for obvious reasons, trotting large groups through the schools while they are in session is problematic. The board ought to work with the district to add another open house or two to the calendar. And if school board members want to bring parents through the schools, they ought to be able to do that, but only in small groups that won't disrupt classes or pose safety concerns for students.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 29
- The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw - 30
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 4
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 22
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding