Home » News » Public Safety
Hanover fraternity house damaged by trash-can fire
HANOVER - Firefighters responded to a one-alarm fire at a Dartmouth College fraternity house for a fire early Monday morning.
The fire that was found to have started in a trash can in a fraternity house bathroom does not appear to be suspicious to fire investigators at this point, said Fire Captain Michael Gilbert.
"It could absolutely be accidental," Gilbert said.
No one was injured in the blaze.The Hanover Fire Department was dispatched at 4:27 a.m. to 1 Webster Ave, the Kappa Kappa Kappa Fraternity House, and were on scene by 4:30 a.m., the fire department said in a press release.
The fire was under control within 17 minutes and firefighters cleared the scene at 5:43 a.m.
Upon arrival firefighters found a fire in a second-floor bathroom and requested apparatus from the Lebanon and Hartford, Vt., fire departments. The Lyme and Norwich, Vt., fire departments responded to cover the Hanover station.
"The fire was quickly extinguished and a search was done of the building for any occupants still in their rooms. One resident was found in his room and removed from the building," the fire department said. "It was determined the fire started in a trash can in the bathroom that extended up the wall and across the ceiling. The fire activated two sprinkler heads that helped keep the fire from spreading from the bathroom. There was minor fire damage to the room of origin and moderate water damage to the first and second floor."
The Hanover fire and police departments are investigating the blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
- Annual banquet on April 23 honors police, fire and EMS - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 1
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Central the early surprise in baseball ranks - 0
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 0
- Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start - 0
- P-Bruins in fight to finish - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Dubois' homer lifts BG girls over Exeter - 0
- Sox rally in ninth to win - 0
- Fisher Cats' hitters can't solve Binghamton hurlers - 0
- Burglars take $210K in cash from safe in Salem home - 0
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start