Home » News » Public Safety
Hanover fraternity house damaged by trash-can fire
HANOVER - Firefighters responded to a one-alarm fire at a Dartmouth College fraternity house for a fire early Monday morning.
The fire that was found to have started in a trash can in a fraternity house bathroom does not appear to be suspicious to fire investigators at this point, said Fire Captain Michael Gilbert.
"It could absolutely be accidental," Gilbert said.
No one was injured in the blaze.The Hanover Fire Department was dispatched at 4:27 a.m. to 1 Webster Ave, the Kappa Kappa Kappa Fraternity House, and were on scene by 4:30 a.m., the fire department said in a press release.
The fire was under control within 17 minutes and firefighters cleared the scene at 5:43 a.m.
Upon arrival firefighters found a fire in a second-floor bathroom and requested apparatus from the Lebanon and Hartford, Vt., fire departments. The Lyme and Norwich, Vt., fire departments responded to cover the Hanover station.
"The fire was quickly extinguished and a search was done of the building for any occupants still in their rooms. One resident was found in his room and removed from the building," the fire department said. "It was determined the fire started in a trash can in the bathroom that extended up the wall and across the ceiling. The fire activated two sprinkler heads that helped keep the fire from spreading from the bathroom. There was minor fire damage to the room of origin and moderate water damage to the first and second floor."
The Hanover fire and police departments are investigating the blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 6
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 0
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 1
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 10
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 29
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
License revocations for DWI announced