Home » News » Public Safety
Hanover fraternity house damaged by trash-can fire
HANOVER - Firefighters responded to a one-alarm fire at a Dartmouth College fraternity house for a fire early Monday morning.
The fire that was found to have started in a trash can in a fraternity house bathroom does not appear to be suspicious to fire investigators at this point, said Fire Captain Michael Gilbert.
"It could absolutely be accidental," Gilbert said.
No one was injured in the blaze.The Hanover Fire Department was dispatched at 4:27 a.m. to 1 Webster Ave, the Kappa Kappa Kappa Fraternity House, and were on scene by 4:30 a.m., the fire department said in a press release.
The fire was under control within 17 minutes and firefighters cleared the scene at 5:43 a.m.
Upon arrival firefighters found a fire in a second-floor bathroom and requested apparatus from the Lebanon and Hartford, Vt., fire departments. The Lyme and Norwich, Vt., fire departments responded to cover the Hanover station.
"The fire was quickly extinguished and a search was done of the building for any occupants still in their rooms. One resident was found in his room and removed from the building," the fire department said. "It was determined the fire started in a trash can in the bathroom that extended up the wall and across the ceiling. The fire activated two sprinkler heads that helped keep the fire from spreading from the bathroom. There was minor fire damage to the room of origin and moderate water damage to the first and second floor."
The Hanover fire and police departments are investigating the blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
- Fire destroys Keene house, no one injured, but pets missing - 0
- Arbitrator finds Manchester had 'just cause' to fire Coco - 16
- New Hampshire's homeless remembered in Laconia vigil - 0
- Keene fire destroys house, no injuries reported - 0
- State agrees to delete toll booth photos - 5
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
Sales of new limited edition ‘Old Man’ liquor bottles will help fund Hall of Flags restoration projectREADER COMMENTS: 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072