Home » News » Public Safety
Hanover fraternity house damaged by trash-can fire
HANOVER - Firefighters responded to a one-alarm fire at a Dartmouth College fraternity house for a fire early Monday morning.
The fire that was found to have started in a trash can in a fraternity house bathroom does not appear to be suspicious to fire investigators at this point, said Fire Captain Michael Gilbert.
"It could absolutely be accidental," Gilbert said.
No one was injured in the blaze.The Hanover Fire Department was dispatched at 4:27 a.m. to 1 Webster Ave, the Kappa Kappa Kappa Fraternity House, and were on scene by 4:30 a.m., the fire department said in a press release.
The fire was under control within 17 minutes and firefighters cleared the scene at 5:43 a.m.
Upon arrival firefighters found a fire in a second-floor bathroom and requested apparatus from the Lebanon and Hartford, Vt., fire departments. The Lyme and Norwich, Vt., fire departments responded to cover the Hanover station.
"The fire was quickly extinguished and a search was done of the building for any occupants still in their rooms. One resident was found in his room and removed from the building," the fire department said. "It was determined the fire started in a trash can in the bathroom that extended up the wall and across the ceiling. The fire activated two sprinkler heads that helped keep the fire from spreading from the bathroom. There was minor fire damage to the room of origin and moderate water damage to the first and second floor."
The Hanover fire and police departments are investigating the blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 1
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- Updated: NH House defies Hassan, kills casino bill by 35-vote margin - 21
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- Updated: House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs