Home » News » Public Safety
Hanover fraternity house damaged by trash-can fire
HANOVER - Firefighters responded to a one-alarm fire at a Dartmouth College fraternity house for a fire early Monday morning.
The fire that was found to have started in a trash can in a fraternity house bathroom does not appear to be suspicious to fire investigators at this point, said Fire Captain Michael Gilbert.
"It could absolutely be accidental," Gilbert said.
No one was injured in the blaze.The Hanover Fire Department was dispatched at 4:27 a.m. to 1 Webster Ave, the Kappa Kappa Kappa Fraternity House, and were on scene by 4:30 a.m., the fire department said in a press release.
The fire was under control within 17 minutes and firefighters cleared the scene at 5:43 a.m.
Upon arrival firefighters found a fire in a second-floor bathroom and requested apparatus from the Lebanon and Hartford, Vt., fire departments. The Lyme and Norwich, Vt., fire departments responded to cover the Hanover station.
"The fire was quickly extinguished and a search was done of the building for any occupants still in their rooms. One resident was found in his room and removed from the building," the fire department said. "It was determined the fire started in a trash can in the bathroom that extended up the wall and across the ceiling. The fire activated two sprinkler heads that helped keep the fire from spreading from the bathroom. There was minor fire damage to the room of origin and moderate water damage to the first and second floor."
The Hanover fire and police departments are investigating the blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fire damages interior of home on Bypass 28 in Derry - 0
- He helps make the Londonderry police force stronger - 0
- Hampton Beach Fire makes new home official - 0
- Firefighters from 10 towns fight Loudon 3-alarm blaze - 0
- Mass. man rescued from Mt. Haystack in Franconia - 0
- Firefighters from 10 communities fight second 3-alarm fire in one day in Loudon - 0
- UPDATE: Lancaster man, 74, killed in head-on Columbia crash - 0
- UPDATE: Mother, daughter fell from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- They’ve come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 0
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 0
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072