Home » News » Public Safety
Fire crews help after car sets off carbon monoxide detectors
LONDONDERRY - A Boyd Road resident called on the aid of the Londonderry Fire Department after fumes from an idling car apparently set off his carbon monoxide detectors.
Firefighters were summoned to 43 Boyd Road shortly after 3:30 p.m. Tuesday when one of the home's occupants showed symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure, including a headache and lightheadedness.
Upon arrival, it became clear that no one was injured in the incident, though firefighters worked to ventilate the building after discovering elevated levels of carbon monoxide throughout the home.
"The levels were particularly high in the basement area as the car's exhaust was pointed towards the open garage," Fire Lt. Kevin Zins said.
Fire crews closed windows throughout the home, using an electric fan to pressurize and ventilate each room until no trace of carbon monoxide remained.
- - - - - - - -
April Guilmet may be reached at AGuilmet@newstote.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 1
- Death investigation under way in Manchester, no foul play suspected - 3
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 1
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 14
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time