Toffoli's hat trick leads Monarchs past Pirates
Tyler Toffoli recorded a hat trick and goalie Martin Jones turned aside 42 shots as the Manchester Monarchs outskated the Portland Pirates, 5-1, in an American Hockey League game Tuesday night in Maine.
The win snapped a three-game losing skid for Manchester.
Toffoli scored the first three goals of the game to net his hat trick. Linden Vey assisted on all three goals.
Toffoli has seven goals this season.
Leading 3-0 entering the third, Manchester added a pair of strikes to put the game out of reach. Stefan Legein scored midway through the third and Slava Voynov completed the scoring for the Monarchs.
Jones nearly earned a shutout as he blocked the initial 42 shots headed his way. But Portland's Evan Brophey spoiled Jones' bid with a goal at 19:27 of the third.
Manchester was whistled for 10 penalties in the contest, but Jones was superior on each of the Pirates' 10 power play opportunities.
The Monarchs converted one of three power-play tries, Voynov's goal at 17:42 of the third.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 1
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 4
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 13
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 32
License revocations for DWI announced