Toffoli's hat trick leads Monarchs past Pirates
Tyler Toffoli recorded a hat trick and goalie Martin Jones turned aside 42 shots as the Manchester Monarchs outskated the Portland Pirates, 5-1, in an American Hockey League game Tuesday night in Maine.
The win snapped a three-game losing skid for Manchester.
Toffoli scored the first three goals of the game to net his hat trick. Linden Vey assisted on all three goals.
Toffoli has seven goals this season.
Leading 3-0 entering the third, Manchester added a pair of strikes to put the game out of reach. Stefan Legein scored midway through the third and Slava Voynov completed the scoring for the Monarchs.
Jones nearly earned a shutout as he blocked the initial 42 shots headed his way. But Portland's Evan Brophey spoiled Jones' bid with a goal at 19:27 of the third.
Manchester was whistled for 10 penalties in the contest, but Jones was superior on each of the Pirates' 10 power play opportunities.
The Monarchs converted one of three power-play tries, Voynov's goal at 17:42 of the third.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fire scene closes Goffstown's Paige Hill Road - 0
- Gas tax increase would be tied to consumer price index - 1
- Dingman granted conditional parole - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 2
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 1
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans