Toffoli's hat trick leads Monarchs past Pirates
Tyler Toffoli recorded a hat trick and goalie Martin Jones turned aside 42 shots as the Manchester Monarchs outskated the Portland Pirates, 5-1, in an American Hockey League game Tuesday night in Maine.
The win snapped a three-game losing skid for Manchester.
Toffoli scored the first three goals of the game to net his hat trick. Linden Vey assisted on all three goals.
Toffoli has seven goals this season.
Leading 3-0 entering the third, Manchester added a pair of strikes to put the game out of reach. Stefan Legein scored midway through the third and Slava Voynov completed the scoring for the Monarchs.
Jones nearly earned a shutout as he blocked the initial 42 shots headed his way. But Portland's Evan Brophey spoiled Jones' bid with a goal at 19:27 of the third.
Manchester was whistled for 10 penalties in the contest, but Jones was superior on each of the Pirates' 10 power play opportunities.
The Monarchs converted one of three power-play tries, Voynov's goal at 17:42 of the third.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Air Force to open recruitment office in Bedford June 6 - 0
- Soldier from Pelham remembered for self-sacrifice - 0
- Obama limits drone strikes in shift from constant war footing - 0
- Cause of death for Army Ranger from Derry as yet undetermined - 0
- NH Military People: NH woman graduates from Air Force training - 0
- 'Known or suspected' terrorists vanish - 0
- 'Honor' flag for veterans fuels debate - 7
- House panel hears account of Benghazi attack - 4
- N.H. journalist held in Syria believed to be in detention center - 2
READER COMMENTS: 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 0
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 3
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 2
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time