Toffoli's hat trick leads Monarchs past Pirates
Tyler Toffoli recorded a hat trick and goalie Martin Jones turned aside 42 shots as the Manchester Monarchs outskated the Portland Pirates, 5-1, in an American Hockey League game Tuesday night in Maine.
The win snapped a three-game losing skid for Manchester.
Toffoli scored the first three goals of the game to net his hat trick. Linden Vey assisted on all three goals.
Toffoli has seven goals this season.
Leading 3-0 entering the third, Manchester added a pair of strikes to put the game out of reach. Stefan Legein scored midway through the third and Slava Voynov completed the scoring for the Monarchs.
Jones nearly earned a shutout as he blocked the initial 42 shots headed his way. But Portland's Evan Brophey spoiled Jones' bid with a goal at 19:27 of the third.
Manchester was whistled for 10 penalties in the contest, but Jones was superior on each of the Pirates' 10 power play opportunities.
The Monarchs converted one of three power-play tries, Voynov's goal at 17:42 of the third.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 1
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 0
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released