Toffoli's hat trick leads Monarchs past Pirates
Tyler Toffoli recorded a hat trick and goalie Martin Jones turned aside 42 shots as the Manchester Monarchs outskated the Portland Pirates, 5-1, in an American Hockey League game Tuesday night in Maine.
The win snapped a three-game losing skid for Manchester.
Toffoli scored the first three goals of the game to net his hat trick. Linden Vey assisted on all three goals.
Toffoli has seven goals this season.
Leading 3-0 entering the third, Manchester added a pair of strikes to put the game out of reach. Stefan Legein scored midway through the third and Slava Voynov completed the scoring for the Monarchs.
Jones nearly earned a shutout as he blocked the initial 42 shots headed his way. But Portland's Evan Brophey spoiled Jones' bid with a goal at 19:27 of the third.
Manchester was whistled for 10 penalties in the contest, but Jones was superior on each of the Pirates' 10 power play opportunities.
The Monarchs converted one of three power-play tries, Voynov's goal at 17:42 of the third.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 0
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 0
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch