Pinkerton sets regional basketball jamboree
The 10th annual Pinkerton Academy boys' basketball Preseason Jamboree, which attracts several of the strongest teams from Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island, is slated for Saturday, Dec. 1, at 3 p.m. at the Pinkerton Field House in Derry
Driving to the Granite State to compete with the Astros are Norwich Free Academy and East Catholic (Manchester) of Connecticut, Boston Latin and Lowell from Massachusetts and St. Raphael (Pawtucket) of Rhode Island.
Three games consisting of two quarters, one 12 minutes long and the other 10 minutes long, will be contested simultaneously on the Field House's three courts. At the conclusion of each set of games, the teams rotate opponents and play resumes.
"This is really an evaluation jamboree," said Pinkerton coach Peter Rosinski. "A team's starting players compete during the first quarter, and then reserve players take the floor during the second quarter. As the tourney progresses, teams have the opportunity to shift players from quarter to quarter to evaluate talent. Everyone plays at least five halves and the coaches get a good look at their top players and their bench players."
The event serves as a fundraiser for the Derry Soup Kitchen, and since admission is free, spectators are encouraged to bring canned goods or make cash donations to help the kitchen in its work.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sen Jeanne Shaheen and Judd Gregg: Connecticut River headwaters are for trees, not towers - 4
- Sen. Sylvia Larsen: Expanding Medicaid is all benefit, no cost for New Hampshire - 29
- Charles Arlinghaus: Don't believe hype on Medicaid expansion - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Common sense vs. the military's pursuit of political correctness - 0
- Diana Lacey: $50 million in personnel cuts would hurt NH - 28
- Jonah Goldberg: Freedom: the unfolding revolution - 4
- Deroy Murdock: Corruption aside, the IRS has too much Obamacare authority - 8
- Thomas Sowell: There's lots of bad economic thinking in the immigration debate - 0
- Roger Simon: The slacker who came in from the cold - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off