Pinkerton sets regional basketball jamboree
The 10th annual Pinkerton Academy boys' basketball Preseason Jamboree, which attracts several of the strongest teams from Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island, is slated for Saturday, Dec. 1, at 3 p.m. at the Pinkerton Field House in Derry
Driving to the Granite State to compete with the Astros are Norwich Free Academy and East Catholic (Manchester) of Connecticut, Boston Latin and Lowell from Massachusetts and St. Raphael (Pawtucket) of Rhode Island.
Three games consisting of two quarters, one 12 minutes long and the other 10 minutes long, will be contested simultaneously on the Field House's three courts. At the conclusion of each set of games, the teams rotate opponents and play resumes.
"This is really an evaluation jamboree," said Pinkerton coach Peter Rosinski. "A team's starting players compete during the first quarter, and then reserve players take the floor during the second quarter. As the tourney progresses, teams have the opportunity to shift players from quarter to quarter to evaluate talent. Everyone plays at least five halves and the coaches get a good look at their top players and their bench players."
The event serves as a fundraiser for the Derry Soup Kitchen, and since admission is free, spectators are encouraged to bring canned goods or make cash donations to help the kitchen in its work.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Updated: NH House defies Hassan, kills casino bill by 35-vote margin - 23
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 10
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- Updated: House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands