Northwood tax rate down 6.1 percent
On Nov. 14, the N.H. Department of Revenue Administration set the overall tax rate at $23.20 per $1,000 of local valuation. It is $1.41 - or 6.1 percent - less than last year's rate of $24.61.
Lemire said the school district had a surplus of over $250,000, while the town ended the last fiscal year with a $1.5 million fund balance. He said selectmen decided to follow the DRA's recommendation to maintain 9 percent for emergencies, but returned some to offset taxes.
"The board decided to throw $384,000 against the tax rate," Lemire said, adding this was an artificial reduction in the tax rate which will set the stage for next year.
Lemire said the budget committee voted Monday to increase the municipal budget, which defaulted last year, by $19,900.
The total tax rate is broken down as follows: $3.84 for the town, $15.92 for local schools, $2.41 for state schools and $1.03 for the county.
Last year, it was $4.28 for the town, $16.77 for local schools, $2.53 for state schools and $1.03 for the county.The overall valuation of the town increased by $2,465,954 - or 0.5 percent - from $469,733,513 to $472,199,467.
"There's a lot of renovations and redoing businesses - not a tremendous amount - but we're not losing any more," Lemire said. "We're heading in the right direction."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 7
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Strategery: A war by any other name
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out