Northwood tax rate down 6.1 percent
On Nov. 14, the N.H. Department of Revenue Administration set the overall tax rate at $23.20 per $1,000 of local valuation. It is $1.41 - or 6.1 percent - less than last year's rate of $24.61.
Lemire said the school district had a surplus of over $250,000, while the town ended the last fiscal year with a $1.5 million fund balance. He said selectmen decided to follow the DRA's recommendation to maintain 9 percent for emergencies, but returned some to offset taxes.
"The board decided to throw $384,000 against the tax rate," Lemire said, adding this was an artificial reduction in the tax rate which will set the stage for next year.
Lemire said the budget committee voted Monday to increase the municipal budget, which defaulted last year, by $19,900.
The total tax rate is broken down as follows: $3.84 for the town, $15.92 for local schools, $2.41 for state schools and $1.03 for the county.
Last year, it was $4.28 for the town, $16.77 for local schools, $2.53 for state schools and $1.03 for the county.The overall valuation of the town increased by $2,465,954 - or 0.5 percent - from $469,733,513 to $472,199,467.
"There's a lot of renovations and redoing businesses - not a tremendous amount - but we're not losing any more," Lemire said. "We're heading in the right direction."
READER COMMENTS: 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 5
- Ted Gatsas and Bob Baines: STEAM Ahead will transform students' lives in Manchester - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: No, Obamacare is not remotely close to fixed - 2
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 0
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list