Northwood tax rate down 6.1 percent
On Nov. 14, the N.H. Department of Revenue Administration set the overall tax rate at $23.20 per $1,000 of local valuation. It is $1.41 - or 6.1 percent - less than last year's rate of $24.61.
Lemire said the school district had a surplus of over $250,000, while the town ended the last fiscal year with a $1.5 million fund balance. He said selectmen decided to follow the DRA's recommendation to maintain 9 percent for emergencies, but returned some to offset taxes.
"The board decided to throw $384,000 against the tax rate," Lemire said, adding this was an artificial reduction in the tax rate which will set the stage for next year.
Lemire said the budget committee voted Monday to increase the municipal budget, which defaulted last year, by $19,900.
The total tax rate is broken down as follows: $3.84 for the town, $15.92 for local schools, $2.41 for state schools and $1.03 for the county.
Last year, it was $4.28 for the town, $16.77 for local schools, $2.53 for state schools and $1.03 for the county.The overall valuation of the town increased by $2,465,954 - or 0.5 percent - from $469,733,513 to $472,199,467.
"There's a lot of renovations and redoing businesses - not a tremendous amount - but we're not losing any more," Lemire said. "We're heading in the right direction."
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Deadline set for identifiers on for-profit MADD donation bins in NH - 0
- Navy again seeking bids to develop former prison 'The Castle' at Portsmouth shipyard - 0
- Navy: Anyone want keys to the Castle at Portsmouth shipyard? - 1
- Occupy Manchester group ousted from park makes case before New Hampshire Supreme Ccourt - 0
- Former NH state trooper gets new state job after 2010 conviction - 18
- Public hearing is set in Portsmouth on plan to beddown 12 KC-46A aircraft - 0
- U.N. denies reports representative in Ukraine seized in Crimea - 0
- Frigid weather has maple producers expecting a 'couple of weeks' delay - 0
- NH Motor Speedway founder selling lakeside estate for NH-record $49 million - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Hockey: Northeastern wins in OT, forces Game 3 with UNH - 0
- NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll - 0
- Pembroke voters OK clock tower face-lift - 0
- Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer - 0
- Groveton backs 'Plan B' for town office project - 0
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 0
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Obama's national security aides meet to discuss Ukraine - 0
- Radio host wants official's lawsuit dismissed - 0
Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers
Auburn native believes in faith and fashion
NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer
Charles Krauthammer: How to handle Putin
GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity