Northwood tax rate down 6.1 percent
On Nov. 14, the N.H. Department of Revenue Administration set the overall tax rate at $23.20 per $1,000 of local valuation. It is $1.41 - or 6.1 percent - less than last year's rate of $24.61.
Lemire said the school district had a surplus of over $250,000, while the town ended the last fiscal year with a $1.5 million fund balance. He said selectmen decided to follow the DRA's recommendation to maintain 9 percent for emergencies, but returned some to offset taxes.
"The board decided to throw $384,000 against the tax rate," Lemire said, adding this was an artificial reduction in the tax rate which will set the stage for next year.
Lemire said the budget committee voted Monday to increase the municipal budget, which defaulted last year, by $19,900.
The total tax rate is broken down as follows: $3.84 for the town, $15.92 for local schools, $2.41 for state schools and $1.03 for the county.
Last year, it was $4.28 for the town, $16.77 for local schools, $2.53 for state schools and $1.03 for the county.The overall valuation of the town increased by $2,465,954 - or 0.5 percent - from $469,733,513 to $472,199,467.
"There's a lot of renovations and redoing businesses - not a tremendous amount - but we're not losing any more," Lemire said. "We're heading in the right direction."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 10
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Dingman granted conditional parole - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 1
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 1
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 13
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans