Variety of answers for what's open, closed on Thanksgiving
The Thanksgiving holiday presents a confusing schedule of what is open and what is closed on Thanksgiving, the day before and the day after.
For example, federal, state and city offices are closed on Thanksgiving. State offices are closed the day after, as are some city offices, such as Concord, Portsmouth and Nashua.
But federal offices are open Friday, as are Manchester city offices.
State courts are closed Thursday and Friday, although some Circuit Court locations will arraign prisoners Friday morning.
The U.S. Postal Service is closed Thursday, with no mail delivery or counter service. But it's business as usual for the post office Friday.
Fedex is closed Thursday. Friday there will be modified service hours for Fedex Express and ground and home delivery will be open as usual, although freight will be closed.
UPS is closed Thursday, except for UPS Critical Service. Friday there will be no ground pickup or delivery, but there will be pick up of air and international packages, but only if the pick up was arranged by Wednesday.
Banks are closed Thursday, even supermarket store locations, but back to normal Friday.
The stock exchanges are closed Thursday and open Friday, but will close Friday at 1 p.m. instead of the usual 4 p.m.
All public schools are closed Thursday and Friday, but some, such as Bow, Concord and Portsmouth, are closed Wednesday too.
Most grocery stores have limited hours Thursday and are back to normal hours Friday.
As for other stores, especially big box and mall stores, Black Friday, which traditionally starts at midnight on Thanksgiving, is turning into Black Thursday for some stores.
Kmart, which has been open on Thanksgiving Day for many years, will have company. Walmart stores in Manchester, Bedford, Hooksett, Derry and Epping will open at 6 or 7 a.m. Thanksgiving morning.
Toys R Us and Sears will open at 8 p.m. Thanksgiving Day and Target will be close on their heels with a 9 p.m. opening. The Tanger Outlets open at 10 p.m. Thanksgiving Day.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Comedian Joan Rivers dead at age 81 says daughter - 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0