Variety of answers for what's open, closed on Thanksgiving
The Thanksgiving holiday presents a confusing schedule of what is open and what is closed on Thanksgiving, the day before and the day after.
For example, federal, state and city offices are closed on Thanksgiving. State offices are closed the day after, as are some city offices, such as Concord, Portsmouth and Nashua.
But federal offices are open Friday, as are Manchester city offices.
State courts are closed Thursday and Friday, although some Circuit Court locations will arraign prisoners Friday morning.
The U.S. Postal Service is closed Thursday, with no mail delivery or counter service. But it's business as usual for the post office Friday.
Fedex is closed Thursday. Friday there will be modified service hours for Fedex Express and ground and home delivery will be open as usual, although freight will be closed.
UPS is closed Thursday, except for UPS Critical Service. Friday there will be no ground pickup or delivery, but there will be pick up of air and international packages, but only if the pick up was arranged by Wednesday.
Banks are closed Thursday, even supermarket store locations, but back to normal Friday.
The stock exchanges are closed Thursday and open Friday, but will close Friday at 1 p.m. instead of the usual 4 p.m.
All public schools are closed Thursday and Friday, but some, such as Bow, Concord and Portsmouth, are closed Wednesday too.
Most grocery stores have limited hours Thursday and are back to normal hours Friday.
As for other stores, especially big box and mall stores, Black Friday, which traditionally starts at midnight on Thanksgiving, is turning into Black Thursday for some stores.
Kmart, which has been open on Thanksgiving Day for many years, will have company. Walmart stores in Manchester, Bedford, Hooksett, Derry and Epping will open at 6 or 7 a.m. Thanksgiving morning.
Toys R Us and Sears will open at 8 p.m. Thanksgiving Day and Target will be close on their heels with a 9 p.m. opening. The Tanger Outlets open at 10 p.m. Thanksgiving Day.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bucks snap skid at 11, top Celtics - 0
- Green, Celtics blow out Cavs - 0
- Celtics late rally falls short - 0
- Crawford, Celtics ease past Bobcats - 0
- Celtics top Hawks to halt six-game skid - 0
- Spurs top Celtics to extend win streak - 0
- Timberwolves hand Celtics third straight loss - 0
- Aldridge double-double sends Celtics to loss - 0
- Warning sign saves former St. A hoop coach Clifford - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice