May 24, 2013
May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
Somersworth man indicted for smashing champagne bottle over man's head
BRENTWOOD - A Somersworth man was indicted on a first-degree assault charge for allegedly smashing a champagne bottle over the head of a man at a Portsmouth hotel, according to prosecutors.
Dalton Carkhuff, 21, is accused of attacking the man on Aug. 18 while the two were at a 21st birthday party.
Carkhuff was one of two men charged in the case. The charge is punishable by 7½ to 15 years in prison if Carkhuff is convicted. He will be arraigned later this month in Rockingham County Superior Court.
According to court records, Portsmouth police were called to the Sheraton Harborside Hotel on Market Street on Aug. 18 just after midnight. Carkuff is accused of having a disagreement with the victim before striking him in the head with an empty champagne bottle, according to police.
Colin Krans, 21, of Dover was charged with misdemeanor simple assault for being involved in the scuffle before police sought an arrest warrant for Carkhuff on the felony assault charge.
Police said either Carkhuff or another man, pushed the victim just before he was hit. Police said the victim did not appear to know Carkhuff or Krans prior to his run-in with them at the party.
"One of the suspects is alleged to have pushed the victim down and the other is alleged to have then beaten the victim in the head with an empty champagne bottle while he was down, causing injury," deputy police Chief Corey MacDonald said in a released statement when Krans was charged.
The victim was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital, where he was treated for lacerations to the back of his head, according to police and court records.
- - - - - - - -
James A. Kimble may be reached at JKimble@newstote.com.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Portsmouth drug raid nets four arrests for sale of heroin - 0
- Manchester Market clerk robbed by man armed with knife - 0
- Man who spent days under Salem woman's trailer recording sentenced to prison - 2
- Man sought for attempting to lure girl into white van near Nashua school - 0
- Lawyer who made porn videos of teenage daughter gets 40 years in jail - 33
- Trial delayed for Epping man charged with shooting romantic rival - 9
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 3
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 1
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424