May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
April 18, 2013
Somersworth man indicted for smashing champagne bottle over man's head
BRENTWOOD - A Somersworth man was indicted on a first-degree assault charge for allegedly smashing a champagne bottle over the head of a man at a Portsmouth hotel, according to prosecutors.
Dalton Carkhuff, 21, is accused of attacking the man on Aug. 18 while the two were at a 21st birthday party.
Carkhuff was one of two men charged in the case. The charge is punishable by 7½ to 15 years in prison if Carkhuff is convicted. He will be arraigned later this month in Rockingham County Superior Court.
According to court records, Portsmouth police were called to the Sheraton Harborside Hotel on Market Street on Aug. 18 just after midnight. Carkuff is accused of having a disagreement with the victim before striking him in the head with an empty champagne bottle, according to police.
Colin Krans, 21, of Dover was charged with misdemeanor simple assault for being involved in the scuffle before police sought an arrest warrant for Carkhuff on the felony assault charge.
Police said either Carkhuff or another man, pushed the victim just before he was hit. Police said the victim did not appear to know Carkhuff or Krans prior to his run-in with them at the party.
"One of the suspects is alleged to have pushed the victim down and the other is alleged to have then beaten the victim in the head with an empty champagne bottle while he was down, causing injury," deputy police Chief Corey MacDonald said in a released statement when Krans was charged.
The victim was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital, where he was treated for lacerations to the back of his head, according to police and court records.
- - - - - - - -
James A. Kimble may be reached at JKimble@newstote.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 43 killers on lifetime parole - but where? - 4
- Portsmouth driver distracted by Facebook hits utility pole - 9
- Robber escapes with drugs from Keene CVS - 0
- Portsmouth police DWI roadblock stops 179 motorists yielding 4 arrests - 0
- Nashua man arrested on charges of sexually assaulting underage girl - 3
- Mass. men arrested on drugs, weapons charges - 0
- Mass. residents charged after Hollis man beaten and stabbed - 11
- Judge gives Salem engineer with underwater mortgage year in jail for growing pot - 1
- Teen party takes Derry rep by surprise - 27
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
Volunteer drivers needed in Windham
North Country ATV trail opening on schedule
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424