Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Somersworth man indicted for smashing champagne bottle over man's head
BRENTWOOD - A Somersworth man was indicted on a first-degree assault charge for allegedly smashing a champagne bottle over the head of a man at a Portsmouth hotel, according to prosecutors.
Dalton Carkhuff, 21, is accused of attacking the man on Aug. 18 while the two were at a 21st birthday party.
Carkhuff was one of two men charged in the case. The charge is punishable by 7½ to 15 years in prison if Carkhuff is convicted. He will be arraigned later this month in Rockingham County Superior Court.
According to court records, Portsmouth police were called to the Sheraton Harborside Hotel on Market Street on Aug. 18 just after midnight. Carkuff is accused of having a disagreement with the victim before striking him in the head with an empty champagne bottle, according to police.
Colin Krans, 21, of Dover was charged with misdemeanor simple assault for being involved in the scuffle before police sought an arrest warrant for Carkhuff on the felony assault charge.
Police said either Carkhuff or another man, pushed the victim just before he was hit. Police said the victim did not appear to know Carkhuff or Krans prior to his run-in with them at the party.
"One of the suspects is alleged to have pushed the victim down and the other is alleged to have then beaten the victim in the head with an empty champagne bottle while he was down, causing injury," deputy police Chief Corey MacDonald said in a released statement when Krans was charged.
The victim was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital, where he was treated for lacerations to the back of his head, according to police and court records.
- - - - - - - -
James A. Kimble may be reached at JKimble@newstote.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester-based scam roofer going to prison for making promises, taking money - 0
- Rochester shooting investigated - 0
- UPDATED: Manchester police recover $11,000 in drugs while investigating domestic assault - 1
- Somersworth mother charged over statements in abuse case against Rochester boyfriend - 1
- UPDATE: Rochester man says he held girl, 3, in headlock for wetting the bed - 1
- Nine arrested in Ossipee drug sweep - 0
- Litchfield woman charged in theft at local grocery store - 0
- UPDATED: Manchester man suffers head injury trying to break up fight - 0
- Former Derry Town Administrator John Anderson asks judge to dismiss charges - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
- Sen. Ayotte vows to fight on after her military sex assault bill passes - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus