Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Somersworth man indicted for smashing champagne bottle over man's head
BRENTWOOD - A Somersworth man was indicted on a first-degree assault charge for allegedly smashing a champagne bottle over the head of a man at a Portsmouth hotel, according to prosecutors.
Dalton Carkhuff, 21, is accused of attacking the man on Aug. 18 while the two were at a 21st birthday party.
Carkhuff was one of two men charged in the case. The charge is punishable by 7½ to 15 years in prison if Carkhuff is convicted. He will be arraigned later this month in Rockingham County Superior Court.
According to court records, Portsmouth police were called to the Sheraton Harborside Hotel on Market Street on Aug. 18 just after midnight. Carkuff is accused of having a disagreement with the victim before striking him in the head with an empty champagne bottle, according to police.
Colin Krans, 21, of Dover was charged with misdemeanor simple assault for being involved in the scuffle before police sought an arrest warrant for Carkhuff on the felony assault charge.
Police said either Carkhuff or another man, pushed the victim just before he was hit. Police said the victim did not appear to know Carkhuff or Krans prior to his run-in with them at the party.
"One of the suspects is alleged to have pushed the victim down and the other is alleged to have then beaten the victim in the head with an empty champagne bottle while he was down, causing injury," deputy police Chief Corey MacDonald said in a released statement when Krans was charged.
The victim was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital, where he was treated for lacerations to the back of his head, according to police and court records.
- - - - - - - -
James A. Kimble may be reached at JKimble@newstote.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Delayed sexual assault trial to start today - 0
- Manchester man charged in series of store robberies - 0
- Fugitive convicted of stabbing Manchester man in heart in ’96 - 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 8
- Manchester woman accused of driving on sidewalk chasing boyfriend - 17
- Vehicle stops in Manchester yield 3 drug arrests - 5
- Pelham had employed finance head charged with embezzlement - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New Hampshire Senior News Notes
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Plea deal possible in Littleton murder
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424