May 24, 2013
May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
Somersworth man indicted for smashing champagne bottle over man's head
BRENTWOOD - A Somersworth man was indicted on a first-degree assault charge for allegedly smashing a champagne bottle over the head of a man at a Portsmouth hotel, according to prosecutors.
Dalton Carkhuff, 21, is accused of attacking the man on Aug. 18 while the two were at a 21st birthday party.
Carkhuff was one of two men charged in the case. The charge is punishable by 7½ to 15 years in prison if Carkhuff is convicted. He will be arraigned later this month in Rockingham County Superior Court.
According to court records, Portsmouth police were called to the Sheraton Harborside Hotel on Market Street on Aug. 18 just after midnight. Carkuff is accused of having a disagreement with the victim before striking him in the head with an empty champagne bottle, according to police.
Colin Krans, 21, of Dover was charged with misdemeanor simple assault for being involved in the scuffle before police sought an arrest warrant for Carkhuff on the felony assault charge.
Police said either Carkhuff or another man, pushed the victim just before he was hit. Police said the victim did not appear to know Carkhuff or Krans prior to his run-in with them at the party.
"One of the suspects is alleged to have pushed the victim down and the other is alleged to have then beaten the victim in the head with an empty champagne bottle while he was down, causing injury," deputy police Chief Corey MacDonald said in a released statement when Krans was charged.
The victim was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital, where he was treated for lacerations to the back of his head, according to police and court records.
- - - - - - - -
James A. Kimble may be reached at JKimble@newstote.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fremont man returned to face NH charges - 0
- 4 arrested in investigation of heroin sales in Portsmouth - 0
- AG says Belmont murder victims were mother and son, found hacked to death - 2
- Ossipee man charged with stealing guns, chainsaw - 0
- Fourth person arrested in Hollis home invasion - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 3
- Police say man detained as part of investigation into death scene in Belmont - 1
- Portsmouth drug raid nets four arrests for sale of heroin - 0
- Manchester Market clerk robbed by man armed with knife - 1
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Will House, Senate continue the feud? - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: City down to the wire on school budget, superintendent - 0
- Service planned for mother of Newtown school shooter - 0
- ENH Power parent firm accused of false advertising - 0
- Soldier from Pelham remembered for self-sacrifice - 0
- New Hampshire energy suppliers announce new alliance - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Are B's destiny's darlings? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Lackey's performance key for Sox - 0
- Bins for clothing, book donations may get identifiers of for-profit owner - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424