Home » News » Public Safety
82-year-old Mass.man killed in Albany house fire
ALBANY - The victim who died in a house fire Tuesday morning has been identified as an 82-year-old Massachusetts man.
Edward Dwinnell of 17 Cedar St., Framingham, Mass., was pronounced dead at the scene of the fire, a home at 69 Crossover Road, according to a press release issued by State Fire Marshal J. William Degnan and Conway Fire Chief Stephen Solomon.
An autopsy determined that Dwinnell died from inhalation of smoke and superheated gases, according to Thomas Riley, an investigator with the state fire marshal's office.
Tax records indicate the home is owned by Gregory and Annette Hines.
Dwinnell was Annette Hines' father-in-law, Riley said.
Investigators said the occupants of the home were alerted to the fire by smoke detectors when the fire broke out shortly after 8 a.m.
Annette Hines, 52, was found trapped in house, officials said. She was able to get to a second-story window where she cried out for help.
Neighborhood residents walking by heard Hines' cries for help and called 911. Arriving firefighters located Hines and rescued her from the fire, but could not save Dwinnell, Riley said.
With the help of fire department ladders, Hines was rescued and then taken to Memorial Hospital in North Conway, where she was treated for smoke inhalation.
One North Conway firefighter, Wayne McDonald, was injured fighting the fire and was taken to Memorial Hospital with minor injuries.
Riley said the cause of the fire has not yet been determined. "It's still under investigation," he said.
Authorities said the smoke detectors saved Annette Hines' life. "Please remember to check your smoke detectors to make sure they are working properly," authorities said in the release.
- - - - - - - -
Dan Seufert may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 5
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name